Thursday, November 12, 2009

Glee Recap: The Wheels Come Off


Glee Season 1 Episode 9: "Wheels" (6.5/10)

*Spoiler Alert* Do not read if you haven't watched episode 1.09.

Let me start by saying that ninety percent of this episode was solid. The jokes were (while less in number) good, the emotion was at an all time high, and everything made sense. I had every intention of going online and praising Ryan Murphy and co. after the hour was up. Sadly, the late-show plot twist involving Artie ruined what could have been fantastic. More on that later.

The focus of the episode, weirdly, was not on the kid in the wheelchair. In fact, the Artie story-line probably garnered the least amount of screen time. The two plots that got the most traction were 1. Sue Selvester's inexplicable choice to let a mentally challenged girl join the Cheerios and 2. the developments with Kurt's sexuality as it pertains to his home life. The former will be more talked about, though the latter really showed that the writers can take a conventional cliche and turn it on it's head.
Maybe it was because I was crying a little bit, but I didn't catch the fact that the botched note on Kurt's solo was on purpose. I actually thought I saw a little fear in his eyes, which pointed me in the opposite direction. Looking back, that was kind of a "wah-wah-wahhh" way to end the story, but the show is redeemed by Kurt's father's attitude towards his son's homosexuality. Besides Kevin on Brothers and Sisters there really isn't a more refreshing attitude towards the gay community on television.
The Sue plot line had me weeping by the end. I thought it was brilliant to give her a disabled sister, even if it was a little bit predictable. I just hope the writers are smart enough to use this in the future, rather than use it up and toss it aside. Jane Lynch didn't really have any biting moments this week, but that was okay after the bungling of her episode thread in "Mash-up" (more like "Throw-Up.")

Now to the sad news: either Artie's a dick, or the show did something reeeaaalllllyyy stupid with his character. I mean come on, he's really going to bail on a girl that he likes because she faked a stutter? And what is with her faking it to begin with? The whole scene was just forced and weird, and it felt like they were creating conflict where no conflict needed to be. It was just as deadly as anything that happened two weeks ago. And that's saying something.
Oh, and the whole Puck/Rachel/Finn/Quinn story didn't progress at all. They wanted you to think it did, but nothing changed, nothing grew, and nothing will be different for the characters in seven days. The cupcake thing was pretty hilarious though.

Overall, this a huge step up from last time. However, the writers need to get out of "cliche high school land" and back into the groove of what we know they're capable of. Until they do, this will just be another slightly-better-than-mediocre show on Fox's roster.

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad you also think the fake stutter thing is retarded. My roommate told me I was too cynical to say that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, no. It was ridiculously terrible writing. There is no two ways about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. I overall loved the episode (especially Sue's sweet moment and Kurt's father being soooo adorable!) but I thought Artie's scene where he got pissed was stupid. It made no sense and I was not happy. It made me like his character less, which is not exactly what you want. I must say, I did like seeing the moments between Quinn and Puck and Finn and Rachel-especially the adorable cupcake fight, but also-I am bummed that nothing changed. Sheesh why can't people just figure out who they're supposed to be with and go with them? dumbbb. Let's hope this is an ascension into Glee bliss and not just a small bump on a road downhill.

    ReplyDelete