Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Ugly, Awful Truth

First, I would like to make the comment that ABC has officially canceled Eastwick. I would like to believe that it has something to do with my article last week, though it is most likely to do with the fact that nobody watches it. Either way, the earth has been spared one more pollutant in the ever-increasing landfill that has become prime time television. This being said, I will now talk about a movie.

The Ugly Truth (4/10)
Today (because it is after midnight) marks the release of The Ugly Truth onto DVD and Bluray. Please don't waste your money. When I first heard about this, I was excited. Katherine Heigl is really attractive and has been mostly talented in her past movies and shows. I watched Knocked Up, and, though I did not like the movie as a whole, I did enjoy her performance. 27 Dresses was really good as well, though, likewise, dealt with a poor plot line. However, I had high hopes for this movie. And she was acting opposite Gerard Butler (the late romantic from P.S. I Love You and the creepy baritone from The Phantom of the Opera. Also, I think he was in 300). This movie only had positives going into it, so I went to see it on opening night. It fell quickly.
It follows the relationship between a morning show producer (Heigl), and the new star of her show Butler). But she has an issue. He says men only think about sex. She is disgusted by his behavior and thinks men can be deeper. So they make a bet that if she follows his advice, she can get her attractive doctor neighbor to fall for her. And so begins the trash. What follows is an onslaught of overused jokes and cliches. Within the first fifteen minutes of the movie, I and all my fellow viewers were able to tell each plot point of the story. So, instead of buying this overdone worthless jumble of bad, go get a movie with the same plot (i.e. Bridget Jones, When Harry Met Sally, You've Got Mail), but might be on sale in the $5 bin at Wal-Mart. No one I have talked to even enjoyed this movie, and I almost guarantee that you will not either. As a friend commented, "It is a stinky piece of trash not worth the DVD it's printed on."

No comments:

Post a Comment