Monday, November 2, 2009

Accidently on Eastwick

I have spent the last couple days racking my brain as to what I could cover in my very first review here. I have finally decided. As many of you will come to find, I am highly addicted to television. I will watch anything: action, comedy, drama, sci-fi, even anime if I am desperate. It does not even have to be good television as long as it follows some sort of plot line. I am constantly in the middle of watching a series from beginning to end, and, once it does end, I feel empty until I start a new show. This introduction was not to tell you all of how much I don't have a life but to explain why the majority of my post will be about television shows. Thus, I will start with two shows new this season.

Accidentally on Purpose (7/10)
When this show first began, I was simply excited because Jenna Elfman (Dharma & Greg) was in it, and it came on right after How I Met Your Mother, so it must be good. And I was not far off. Elfman play a mid-thirties woman who, upset about a recent breakup, decides to have a one night stand with the young Zack (Jon Foster of Life As We Know It). This becomes a series of stands and eventually a baby (surprise! It's not a crane!). They decide to move in together but stop sleeping together. What ensues is a series of dates and hijinks that only increase the sexual tension between the two characters. The humor is, expectantly, juvenile. The acting is mostly basic. And the thought behind the title was briefly touched on in the first episode, then completely ignored. But, aside from this, it is a pretty good show that has little to no potential past the birth of the child.

Eastwick (3/10)
What a poor blunder this was. I was told to watch this because a minor character is played by Darren Criss (A Very Potter Musical, youtube it). I will admit I only watched the first three episodes, so if it improved after this....nevermind. It could not improve. Anyway, the show is based on the novel by John Updike and it's 1987 movie about three witches who live in a town near Salem, Mass. They are brought together to random coins that show up, somehow forcing them to make a wish in a fountain, granting them powers. The women all-of-a-sudden become best friends and hang out with the new-to-town billionaire who seems to be a collection of ten different characters. One character goes from suspecting him to being friends with him and back in the span of five minutes. Plots are poorly developed. Characters are one-dimensional at best. As it is Rebecca Romijn's first television appearance since her pregnancy got her off of Ugly Betty last fall, it appears she decided to go for a poorer quality show so she would not have to work as hard. Or this was her consolation prize. Either way, this show is a waste of time that could only succeed if a spell is cast on the viewers.

4 comments:

  1. Hmm, while I respect your opinion about Eastwick, I think it may be a matter of taste. I, personally, and my other roommate/actor friend, love Eastwick. I feel like the characters are adorable, and fun, and I want to move to Eastwick, be their friend, and will gladly accept all the trouble that seems to fall into their laps in exchange. I think it's charming, funny, and intriguing. I'm always eager for the next episode. But, if everyone liked the same things the world would be very boring, now wouldn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Matt. Eastwick (at least the pilot) was terrible. It had no direction and (while I love Ms. Romjin) the actors were very poor. Sorry, Kales. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meh it's okay, it's not my favooorite, I would've given it like 6/10. I can see what you're talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you hated this show. I caught a few minutes of an episode a few weeks back, and couldn't figure out what on earth was going on -- I thought maybe it was so terrible because it was trying to be ironic. Nope. Watched about fifteen minutes last night, and wanted to stab hot pokers in my eyes. The show takes itself WAY too seriously. For a show that's supposed to be about magic, there's no whimsy, no irreverence... just angst and cheese and jokes that fall really, really flat. And I'm sorry, but Rebecca Romijn looks rough. They're getting her up like a 20-year-old, and it's ridiculous. I actually feel bad for her. Ah well. Glee's back in a couple weeks, and my Wednesdays will be full of joy again.

    ReplyDelete