Thursday, December 24, 2009

2009 Television Wrap-up

First of all, MERRY CHRISTMAS EVE! And to all you non-Christmas celebrators, HAPPY (insert name of special occasion)! I hope that any time you get to spend with your family is blessed and only slightly irritating.

Now, on to the real deal. I apologize that it has been so long since I lasted added my thoughts to this list. I over-committed and under-slept, and, by the time I wanted to do another article, it was nearly time for the end of the year-round-up. And I did not want to take away from any of my jokes by doing a double post. So I waited. And have now set up for you my list of the best and worst comedies and dramas of the year.

COMEDY:

The Shizznit:

ABC has done a great job this year introducing the public to actually funny comedy shows, starting back in March with Better Off Ted (who makes use of actress Portia de Rossi of Arrested Development). But this fall they brought us the amazingly hilarious Cougar Town (boasting with a cast of Courtney Cox, Christa Miller, and Dan Byrd). Each episode takes me on a ride of emotions from elation to a little sad straight back to elated. It plays with your mind. It has little Easter Eggs from the observant. It portrays real life, though not the life that you or anyone else has. It shows what real life would be like if we all had nice bodies and sharp wit (a team of costumers and writers might help in this area). It is just downright side-splittingly comical. And I hope the team of Beigel and Lawrence (both writers from Scrubs) keep showing us a great time every Wednesday at 10.

If you like this show, also check out “Modern Family,””Better Off Ted,” and “Community.”

Just Plain Shit:

In the past two years, How I Met Your Mother has become a sensation. Most of this is due to the talent of Alyson Hannigan and Neil Patrick Harris. But a lot of it has to do with the writers of the show, Carter Bays and Craig Thomas, who had previous success as writers on the Late Show with David Letterman. So, thinking they could create another triumph, CBS decided it would take a no-name writer (Claudia Lonow), and mix her with a bunch of no-name actors. And from this hodge-podge, out comes Accidentally on Purpose, marking the first time that the title of a show has described its conception (it’s a pun; laugh now). The jokes are forced. The relationships are clichéd. The characters are un-relatable. In short, this show needed aborted after about three weeks (sorry, could not resist.)

I am going to add just a few sentences about Glee, because it would be both unwise and unfair to ignore it. I thought I would love the show, but I end up hating it more and more each week. I don’t like the songs, the singers, the plots, or the characters. I am in the minority in this opinion, and I am okay with that. However, please do not confuse Notoriety with talent; just because it is cool and new does not mean that it is good. Thank you.

DRAMA:

FTW!:

Back in November I did I review of Joss Whedon’s current show, Dollhouse. At the time, my disappointment and sadness outweighed my love and loyalty to the show. But those feelings have been revived. After a month-long hiatus, Dollhouse returned bigger and better than ever. Having already been cancelled, Whedon did not have to try to conform or meet a quota. He was left to his own devices, which is how he produces his best work. We were graced with two new episodes every week starting 4 December with guest star Summer Glau (Firefly). Each one is fast-paced, suspenseful, and exciting. My brain explodes with each new twist, each new development, and each new enemy. This past week’s double-feature had me on the edge of my seat, knuckles white gripping the sides of my laptop. I simply loved it. I am excited that there are still three episodes left (including a continuation of last season’s special “Epitaph” miniseries), but I am disappointed that it will be over so soon. I can only hope that someone soon recognizes Whedon’s greatness and enlists him in helping improve their primetime lineup. P.S. Though technically in its 2nd season, Dollhouse first aired in February of this year, so it counts.

If you are a fan of this show, you might also enjoy ”V.”

!WTF:

Despite their acclaim in the humor department, ABC needs some help choosing good serious television. They were the ones that cursed us with the show Eastwick (these are the jokes…) which has been cancelled, though was somehow allowed to air awful episodes through the end of the year. Another show that should be circumvented is FlashForward. I was only able to force myself to watch three episodes of this, but those three were more than enough. Starring Joseph Fiennes ( brother of Ralph who plays “Voldemort” of the Harry Potter Series; is personally no one of great importance), this show started with an interesting premise that quickly turned into a great ball of nothing. Characters tried to prove that they would never do the things they are going to do. Other characters don’t believe them. Some are scared they are going to die. They follow leads. They get nowhere. After an hour, nothing has happened. This show was put on a hiatus until March, but it should be expanded indefinitely. It is neither a good lesson in character psyche, nor a good way to spend your time. It needs replaced ASAP, possibly with something by Bryan Fuller or Joss Whedon (fingers crossed).

No comments:

Post a Comment